Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist

I’ve got two dogs. The oldest is 12 and is much like you described yours. The other one is just shy of being two.

I use to build my own Mods in my free time. I have two in wait. One is nearly done and one has a long way to go.

I also use to like target shooting too. But with ammo price these days I can’t afford doing it much. I always replace what I shoot.

There’s only so much you can watch on TV before it begins getting to you. It’s easy for me to overthink things too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist

I’ve got two dogs. The oldest is 12 and is much like you described yours. The other one is just shy of being two.

I use to build my own Mods in my free time. I have two in wait. One is nearly done and one has a long way to go.

I also use to like target shooting too. But with ammo price these days I can’t afford doing it much. I always replace what I shoot.

There’s only so much you can watch on TV before it begins getting to you. It’s easy for me to overthink things too.

Got a pellet/bb pistol here. Not sure where any bb's got shuffled off to. Wouldn't mind spending a little for .22 ammo to just go plinking, if I had a .22. Wife is peculiar regarding guns.

Finally this past year I broke and fussed at her. "Woman, I'll have guns when I'm able. They'll be in our home. You can just be okay with it." She give a little chuckle. "Fine, Pawpaw."

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Porch goers
Just got shoveled out and round two is on the way,
Hope everyone is havin a good day

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'lessonslearnedinlije.com There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad and focus o the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who do not. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living. -José N. Harris'

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I had a Computer literally Blow Up today or in the last few. When I tried to get it up and running again, I noticed a whole row of caps bulging~! Well time to retire this old Dell and I ordered a refurbished HP Workstation to replace it. I am not a Fan of SSD HDD's so it limited my choices. But then I was surprised, no freaking DVD Drives? WTF? Is everything Virtual these days? I have an old Version of Software I need and know works on Win 10 Pro but it gets installed from a CD.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So I had a Computer literally Blow Up today or in the last few. When I tried to get it up and running again, I noticed a whole row of caps bulging~! Well time to retire this old Dell and I ordered a refurbished HP Workstation to replace it. I am not a Fan of SSD HDD's so it limited my choices. But then I was surprised, no freaking DVD Drives? WTF? Is everything Virtual these days? I have an old Version of Software I need and know works on Win 10 Pro but it gets installed from a CD.

My latest work laptop has no media drives. It's a PITA. I came to the conclusion a while back that if I had to have something off CD or DVD, I'd just have to buy an external-drive that uses the USB port or something.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My latest work laptop has no media drives. It's a PITA. I came to the conclusion a while back that if I had to have something off CD or DVD, I'd just have to buy an external-drive that uses the USB port or something.

It is because of things like Office 365 that do not get installed locally. My argument for Virtual Desktops is that when the Power or the Internet go down so do I. With locally Installed programs I can work with No Internet and also with No Power because of the Generator. Usually in those instances my Cell still works so if I need to send a file I can. Hot spot or just send it to myself and relay.

I needed a PCI Fax Modem but forget trying to find one locally~! I had to order on Amazon and wait a week~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So the PC order I placed last night I finally received my ready for pickup email this morning. Waiting a little longer to drive to Westbury to pick it up because they open at 10AM. Then the fun of setting up a new machine and installing all the devices.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
So the PC order I placed last night I finally received my ready for pickup email this morning. Waiting a little longer to drive to Westbury to pick it up because they open at 10AM. Then the fun of setting up a new machine and installing all the devices.

I would rather take a beating. (That's a saying down here - don't know if it's heard outside the region.) In other words, I can't think of many things I'd rather NOT do than set up a new machine. Just shoot me now.

You have my sympathy. If it were me, I'd have to hope that everyone around me kept their distance until the blasted thing was done.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would rather take a beating. (That's a saying down here - don't know if it's heard outside the region.) In other words, I can't think of many things I'd rather NOT do than set up a new machine. Just shoot me now.

You have my sympathy. If it were me, I'd have to hope that everyone around me kept their distance until the blasted thing was done.

The biggest PITA is the Damn Windows Hello and how you have to wrestle with it to use a Local Login~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@SteveS45 If you can I would burn any programs you need that are on CD/DVD to USB sticks. Physical spinning drives are going the way of the dodo.

Not necessarily because even Legacy Hardware is still available if you want to look hard enough~! When I opened the case to peak inside when I saw the Mini freaking 500GB Hard Drive at first I thought they gave me an SSD~!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I agree, almost an impossible task for me, I get so aggravated having to do anything new on a computer :rolleyes: :giggle:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am so glad I use Linux (Ubuntu) It's just for personal use (not for business)... the operating system and software are free. Not many worries about viruses either. I can build desktop computers (haven't tried with laptops except I can easily add memory to my old one) For years I had friends that were gamers and competitive so always getting bigger hard drives, better graphics cards and would give me their old stuff for free (I didn't need the latest greatest stuff anyway) Very easy to install the OS from a USB (and back-up data)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am so glad I use Linux (Ubuntu) It's just for personal use (not for business)... the operating system and software are free. Not many worries about viruses either. I can build desktop computers (haven't tried with laptops except I can easily add memory to my old one) For years I had friends that were gamers and competitive so always getting bigger hard drives, better graphics cards and would give me their old stuff for free (I didn't need the latest greatest stuff anyway) Very easy to install the OS from a USB (and back-up data)
I run ArcoLinux which is Arch based. I've been running Linux on my computers since 2001. Started with Mandrake, moved to Ubuntu, then Mint, and now Arco. I'm liking the rolling release concept and always having the latest releases and patches. I've played with others on VMs as well.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I have to use Windows because I work in IT.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I came down with the Wuhan Flu Sunday, the Omicron variant. It's no worse than a light cold and I'm pretty much over it now. No loss of taste and smell and I feel fine. Since I started seeing symptoms Sunday, I didn't take my trip for this week. My company says I'm not going next week as well. Fine with me, I'll take 3 weeks home in a row as the following week was a scheduled week home for some doctor and dentist appointments.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At first I didn't like Windows 10 but after using it for a while I changed my mind. I originally started using it just to know it but then I had issues using an older OS downloading from Usenet. I tested the resolution of the issue using Win 7 Pro and it was solved then went to Win 10 Pro. Speeds went from 10MB to 50MB. Yes Mega Bytes not Bits~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits here in hoodie sweatshirt, sweat pants, wrapped in two micro-fleece blankets* Will try. Trouble being if I get too warm, passing out comes along. Which given there's really nothing to do isn't an issue. Seems though me being asleep is the desired way.

Again, sick & tired of being sick & tired. Anyway, courage to change what ya can, wisdom to accept what ya cannot, I reckon. *sighs and goes on :headbang: & :deadhorse:* No going around, over, under for me I'm afraid. Hate being the poster boy of insanity, i.e. doing the same thing yet excepting different outcomes. Not much else, if anything there to do. Yeah, ... anyway, ...

Is what it is, ...

Is what it was, ...

Is what it will be, ...

anyway.

Wife will soon get an ESOP payout. That's getting put in sock drawer toward a down payment. Will stay at current spot custodial until we get up to Pasrkersburg.

Once there, going to go to union trade school for commercial/industrial plumbing apprenticeship. She keeps telling me that line of the field does not require a plumber to enter confined spaces.

Thinking I may be correct thinking it may. Most trades like that do seem to have that as requirement at times. Will see & if so I'll just wear my tight fitting big boy pants, get 'er done.

Hm, think I just crossed over to being full on "I don't give a frack", Stoic.

"Just in Ben has reached the point of not giving a frack! Ben, how do you feel?"

"Arrrrrggggh, go ask somebody what gives a frack."

"There you have it, ... Back to you in the studio, ...."

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Stripping the wax off the Kitchen and Dinette floors since this morning and taking a break to fill my tank. I decided it was time to pull out the stove and clean behind it and the fridge so I have a big job going. I hope I don't decide to paint the moldings around the floors because I will wind up painting the rooms~!

Still stripping the wax at present because I am waiting for the wax to dry under the stove so I can push it back and cook lunch~!

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@2WhiteWolves , nice quote... Helen Keller could "see" that. I wish others could "see" things like that.
There is a band called "Third Eye Blind" (I actually saw them at an outdoor concert in Modesto, CA... they kicked ass) It was an event with many different bands... both famous and some just starting out. They started out in that area, got famous, and came back to support their early years... great show!

VU Sponsors