Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At least I have access to local raw honey that is delish. I haven’t added sugar to anything in a while.
Good, table sugar is very bad for you, it isn't that hard to adapt honey or Date sugar (powdered dates) in any recipe.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-4_18-6-42.gif
    upload_2020-3-4_18-6-42.gif
    35 bytes · Views: 2

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
You have to watch store bought honey as some of it is cut with high fruitrose corn syrup

Once I had the raw honey, it made the store bought look fake. The stuff I get is opaque and thick, like thick butter almost.

I’ve been wanting to send you some, but I was either broke or sick.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wont buy store honey because of the fact that some is cut and high fruitrose corn syrup is very toxic.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I wont buy store honey because of the fact that some is cut and high fruitrose corn syrup is very toxic.

I don’t buy it anymore either. The stuff I get is $15 for @ 12oz, but it’s amazing. Off the spoon it’s decadent and yummy!!

It’s not even dark gold color, it’s light yellow and thick. You have to spoon this stuff out of the jar.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don’t buy it anymore either. The stuff I get is $15 for @ 12oz, but it’s amazing. Off the spoon it’s decadent and yummy!!

It’s not even dark gold color, it’s light yellow and thick. You have to spoon this stuff out of the jar.
Sounds like good stuff

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The coronavirus is a real concern but with some planning, you can reduce your chances of becoming sick if you are exposed.

This week I was scheduled to attend the Natural Products Expo in Anaheim, CA but the Expo was canceled to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

I’m a mom, and just like you, my first concern is my family. More specifically, my kids. I don’t want my kids to become sick from the coronavirus. In my 3-part email series, I am going to teach you how to protect yourself and your family from getting sick from any airborne virus, including the coronavirus. As a nurse, your health is my priority. Prevention is key and education will arm you and your immune system with barriers!

I want you to prepare your body to defend against the coronavirus. There are no treatments or cures. Only prevention- but no one is talking about the best way to prevent getting sick from the virus.

There are only three ways the coronavirus can enter your body- through your nose, mouth, and eyes. You will breathe it in or place it in your mouth or eyes with contaminated fingers, utensils or food.

The first way to prevent bodily contamination is to make sure you wash your hands frequently and prevent dry, cracked skin in the process. Let's face it, the more often you wash your hands, the more likely for your skin to become dry, cracked, itchy and broken.

Let’s revisit how to effectively wash your hands.
Here are 5 easy steps to clean hands:

1. Get wet and soapy. Get your hands wet in clean water. Put soap on your hands and make suds.
  2. Rub. Rub, rub your soapy hands together long enough to sing “Happy Birthday” in your head twice or sing the alphabet slowly. Remember, it’s more about the rubbing and friction of your hands than it is about the soap. If you do not have soap, you can effectively clean your hands with just water… and rub, rub, rub to create friction! Clean your palms, the back of your hands, and between your fingers. Don’t forget to clean under your nails. Nails can trap dirt and germs.
  3. Rinse. Hold your hands under clean, running water with fingers pointed down- this prevents water from running up your arm. Rub them to rinse them fully.
  4. Shake and dry. Shake your hands a few times, then dry them with a clean towel or hand dryer.
  5. Apply Hand Repair Balm- this will protect your hands (and your kids) by keeping your healthy bacteria present and prevents dry, chaffed skin which can be a portal of entry for bacteria and viruses. The Hand Repair Balm was made for Operating Room staff and nurses who wash their hands frequently. It absorbs into your skin and provides protection for 4-8 hand washes. Reapply as often as needed. The oils are antimicrobial, antibacterial and antiviral and will inhibit the growth, spread, and infection of germs.
What to avoid:

• Antibacterial soaps: Antibacterial soaps spread antibiotic resistance. (Also, bars of soap sitting in water have been shown to be contaminated with bacteria, so only used soap that is drained properly.)
  • Alcohol-based hand sanitizers: These can dry out your hands and cause cracks, dry patches, itchiness that can lead to open areas and destroys your barrier against infections. The alcohols will also kill all of your good skin microbiomes which are needed to protect you against harmful bacteria.
Tomorrow, I will talk about how your mouth is your first line of defense against all airborne viruses, including Coronavirus.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One Article Two Parts

Good Genes Are Nice But LOVE Is Better
Ever since the unravelling of the human genome, the mechanistic scientists have had a field day proclaiming we are just a bunch of “stuff”, made from an accidental molecule called DNA.

It’s all genes is their cry.

In fact it’s now proven that genes have very little to do with anything. They switch on and off so much, you could say we control them, rather than they control us. I sent a case of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (a genetic disorder, supposedly) into complete reversal just by changing his diet! The boy could not climb stairs when he came to me (characteristically, the patient has to go upstairs on their butt, using hands and arms for movement).

Within a month he was jogging alongside his friend’s bicycle and had climbed the Walter Scott monument in the High Street of Edinburgh (287 steps) and got a certificate to prove it!

mail

The Scott Monument in Edinburgh, Scotland

But the hardcore mechanistic scientists are not going to be blinded by mere facts. They have a wife and dogma to support!!

How long you will live is not controlled by your genes. The clearest illustration of this is the case of Walter Breuner, who lived to be 114, yet his parents both died in their 50s! Walter looked a bit like a prune but he was very together mentally, right till the end:

World's Oldest Man

The thing is—and it’s obvious—genes do not really control our health. They want to get rid of heart disease by re-engineering genes (gene “editing” as it’s called). But diet and lifestyle will lower your risk by more than half. If you have “good heart” genes and eat crap, you’ll die! So where should you put your attention, diet and lifestyle, or genes?

It’s really a no brainer.

There is one PROVEN factor that is w-a-a-y-y more important than genes and that’s what I am reporting on today. I’m talking about love and happiness.

Loneliness is a killer. People who don’t have others to share and love them and get them over the sticky patches in life die younger. The risk is about the same as obesity or smoking 15 cigarettes a day.

One of the most significant health studies ever is the so-called Harvard Study of Adult Development. It began tracking the health of 268 Harvard sophomores in 1938 during the Great Depression and continues, even today, with the children of these men.

Of the original Harvard cohort recruited for the study, only 19 are still alive, all in their mid-90s. Incidentally, President John F. Kennedy was one of them. (Women weren’t in the original study because the College was then all male.)

By 2017, scientists had expanded their research to include the men’s offspring, who now number 1,300 and are in their 50s and 60s, to find out how early-life experiences affect health and aging over time. Some participants went on to become successful businessmen, doctors, lawyers, and others ended up as schizophrenics or alcoholics.

So going to Harvard is not an automatic ticket to wealth and happiness!

Over the years, researchers have studied the participants’ health trajectories and their broader lives, including their triumphs and failures in careers and marriage, and the finding have produced startling lessons, and not only for the researchers.

“The surprising finding is that our relationships and how happy we are in our relationships has a powerful influence on our health,” said Robert Waldinger, professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, and the present director of the study. “Taking care of your body is important, but tending to your relationships is a form of self-care too. That, I think, is the revelation.”

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part Two

What Is The Real Secret Of Happiness And Health?

Close relationships, more than money or fame, are what keep people happy throughout their lives, the study revealed. Those ties protect people from life’s mishaps, help to delay mental and physical decline, and are better predictors of long and happy lives than social class, IQ, or even genes. That finding proved true across the board among both the Harvard men and the inner-city participants.

Researchers who have pored through data, including vast medical records and hundreds of in-person interviews and questionnaires, found a strong correlation between men’s flourishing lives and their relationships with family, friends, and community. Several studies found that people’s level of satisfaction with their relationships at age 50 was a better predictor of physical health than their cholesterol levels were.

The people who were the most satisfied in their relationships at age 50 were the healthiest at age 80.

The researchers also found that marital satisfaction has a protective effect on people’s mental health. Part of a study found that people who had happy marriages in their 80s reported that their moods didn’t suffer even on the days when they had more physical pain. Those who had unhappy marriages felt both more emotional and physical pain.

mail

Those who kept warm relationships got to live longer and happier, said Waldinger, and the loners often died earlier. “Loneliness kills,” he said. “It’s as powerful as smoking or alcoholism.”

Researchers also found that those with strong social support experienced less mental deterioration as they aged.

“When we gathered together everything we knew about them about at age 50, it wasn’t their middle-age cholesterol levels that predicted how they were going to grow old,” said Waldinger in a popular TED Talk. “It was how satisfied they were in their relationships. The people who were the most satisfied in their relationships at age 50 were the healthiest at age 80.”

In part of a recent study, researchers found that women who felt securely attached to their partners were less depressed and more happy in their relationships two-and-a-half years later, and also had better memory functions than those with frequent marital conflicts.

In other words, good relationships don’t just protect our bodies; they protect our brains. Moreover those good relationships don’t have to be smooth all the time. Some octogenarian couples could bicker with each other from time to time but as long as they felt that they could really count on the other when the going got tough, those quarrels didn’t take a toll.

(I have written elsewhere that a relationship that never has any storms is more of a graveyard of love than a happy relationship).

The Shifting History Of Issues

Under the first director, Clark Heath, who stayed from 1938 until 1954, the study mirrored the era’s dominant view of genetics and biological determinism. Early researchers believed that physical constitution, intellectual ability, and personality traits determined adult development. They made detailed anthropometric measurements of skulls, brow bridges, and moles, wrote in-depth notes on the functioning of major organs, examined brain activity through electroencephalograms, and even analyzed the men’s handwriting.

Sounds a bit like the ethnic “research” the Nazis were doing!

These days, researchers draw blood for DNA testing and put them into MRI scanners to examine organs and tissues in their bodies, procedures that would have sounded like science fiction back in 1938. In that sense, the study itself represents a history of the changes that life brings.

Psychiatrist George Vaillant, who led the study from 1972 until 2004, went further. He emphasized the role of relationships, and came to recognize the crucial role they played in people living long and pleasant lives.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part 1

Hi Jimi

I have gotten over 300 emails from both clients and listeners asking for my advice on prevention and support for the Coronavirus and while I love to answer emails and do my best to get to each one, I thought a podcast episode and email would be very helpful.

If you like to listen, The Coronavirus Episode is now live on the website, itunes, stitcher and spotify (its short and to the point, under 18 minutes long).

If you prefer to read, below is the full summary of the episode :)

In addition to all the questions I get over email I am also on a variety of mailing lists from different practitioners and vendors and I have gotten a lot of their emails too. Its interesting to see what happens when stuff starts to hit the fan so to speak. I found some emails giving general recommendations like washing your hands more while others are using scare tactics claiming their vitamin is THE thing people need to help protect them from this virus.

Additionally we have the media doing their thing and the whole situation becomes confusing and scary. Don’t get me wrong, I a not trying to downplay this, but if you have been listening to my show you know that I like to get the information, put it in perspective and then explore solutions from as many angles as possible. I wanted to give my professional opinion on what may be helpful and what is just hype.

How can you catch Coronavirus?
This is a new virus, which means nobody is an expert on this strain (including me). What we do know is that it's transmitted similarly to any flu virus. This would be through close contact and respiratory spray. The virus has an incubation period (believed to be from 2 - 14 days) meaning that someone could be infected without having any symptoms yet.

Symptoms of COVID-19
Symptoms range from mild cold-like symptoms (cough, sore throat, nasal congestion, malaise, headache, muscle aches, fever) to more severe symptoms like Acute Respiratory Distress to Pneumonia to the most concerning, Sepsis, Septic Shock and death - although these last ones are less likely to be the outcome. The elderly are at a higher risk of symptoms being severe however, pregnant women and children are not considered high risk.

Diagnosing Coronavirus
The test for Coronavirus is similar to testing for the flu - it’s a simple nose or throat swab. It can also be detected through PCR genetic testing. From my understanding, test kits are not available at doctors offices and only obtained through the CDC or public health department.

Testing is only recommended if you have a fever and lower respiratory symptoms like shortness of breath and cough AND you had contact with someone that has been infected. If you have recently returned from a hotspot like China, Japan, South Korea, Italy, or Iran and have exhibited symptoms for at least 4 days then you may want to be tested. And, if you are experiencing severe lower respiratory symptoms and have already ruled out ALL other pathogens like the flu, testing would be a good idea.

Remember, we are still in flu season so even if you are feeling fluish, it does not automatically mean you have the Coronavirus. Running to the hospital or doctor’s office for testing could increase your chance of exposure, so be sure that you meet all the above criteria before running to get tested.

Should You Get A Mask?
I’ve had a lot of people asking me about prevention and whether or not they should be getting a mask (and if so, which kind). While it's hard to say if masks are necessary just yet, it's never a bad idea to have one just in case. The most common type of mask you’ll find on Amazon are surgical masks. These are not designed to protect you from major infections but rather to protect others from catching what you might have. Not only do these masks not have proper filters they also don’t typically fit completely snug so things can still get in and out.

If you are going to get a mask, you need one that filters out 95% or more of very small particles. Those are called P95, R95 or N95 masks. They need to have 2 straps and fit snug so they form a seal around your mouth AND nose. These are typically around $30. It doesn’t hurt to get one because they can also be used to filter air when biking or running in poor air quality (great for someone living in a big city).

Nasal Rinsing for Prevention
One of my big recommendations for prevention (or if you may have just been exposed) is a nasal rinse. When we are exposed to infections, we typically breathe them in and they hang out in the nose for a few days while they incubate. So just like it's important to wash your hands, washing out your nose can be really helpful. There are a few options for nasal rinsing. The Neti pot is common but some (myself included!) find it awkward. I use the Neilmed which has the same effect as a Neti pot but I think way easier to use. Whichever method you choose, make sure you use a saline solution.

I recommend a mixture that is even more antimicrobial with the addition of 2-3 tablespoons of Silvercillin to the water and salt. Alternatively, you can use a spray called Xlear which is purified water, xylitol (a natural sweetener with antimicrobial properties), salt and some grapefruit seed extract. If you tune in to the episode, i give the exact instructions on how to do it.

Do Supplements Prevent or Treat Coronavirus?
Because this is a virus we’ve never seen before, there’s currently no vaccine to prevent Novel Coronavirus and there are no medications to treat it just yet. When it comes to supplements, a strain of elderberry called Sambucus Formosana Nakai has shown positive effects against other corona viruses but that doesn’t mean it's specifically effective against the Novel Coronavirus but it does have antiviral properties. Other natural antivirals include Vitamin C, Oil of Oregano, Silvercillin, Lomatium and Monolaurin. High doses of Vitamin C and Vitamin D may also be helpful in later stages as it helps modulate the immune system.

Anything you can do to strengthen your immune system is going to be key. We can do this with our diet by including more colorful vegetables (eat the rainbow), taking immune boosters like the ones mentioned above, and ensuring you’re getting enough probiotics.

I think the important thing to know here is that there is no one magic supplement for this.. I'm sorry to say but there just isn’t. Its best to use a few things together. Pick a few of these supplements that you have tried in the past and have had good experiences with and work on your diet at the same time.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part 2

Worrying about Coronavirus will not help
It’s important, of course, to be aware and do all of the things you can to avoid exposure and transmission of the Novel Coronavirus BUT stressing about is not going to help. In fact, it’s going to hurt your immune system.

As much as I love supplements, all the supplements in the world will probably not do too much if you are super stressed. There is an inverse relationship between cortisol and your immune system. When you worry and stress about the virus, you trigger the release of cortisol. Anything that you can do to lower your nervous system and lower your cortisol is going to help - try breathing, meditation, taking time for yourself, listening to music, dancing, and laughing.

What about Mindset?
When it comes to mindset, while of course you need to take all the proper precautions and steps to help your body be at its best, try and adapt a mindset that your body is strong, that your body knows how to fight infections and your body can heal. Having the right belief system is going to make everything work better.

Reality Check
While this is all very new to us, from what we have seen so far, the later stages of sepsis shock and death are not that common, especially if you are young and generally healthy.

So let's prepare from knowledge and not fear and use a multi-faceted approach!

Let's get our diets in check, support our immune systems, manage our stress and create a more positive mindset, adapt the attitude that you CAN do this and that your body is strong.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got back from Wally world and
. No hand sanitizer, no clorox or lysol wipes and few other lysol products.
No dried milk or the milk that does not need refridgeration.

this was my final virus prep trip shopping.
You're right my friend everywhere is getting wiped out
Here come the panic of stupid people

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why Women Are Twice As Likely to Develop Alzheimer’s and What They Can Do About It with Dr. Lisa Mosconi

When it comes to health risks, outcomes, and care, biological gender matters. Unfortunately, research is late to the game in understanding men’s and women’s unique needs and how to best support optimal health for each sex.

Women are four times more likely to have migraines than men, three times more likely to have autoimmunity, and twice as likely to have anxiety, depression, and Alzheimer’s. These are some serious statistics that point out the importance of looking at men and women differently if we want to truly focus on prevention and healing.

Today on The Broken Brain Podcast, Dhru sits down with female brain expert Dr. Lisa Mosconi. Dr. Mosconi is the director of the Women's Brain Initiative and associate director of the Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical College, where she serves as an associate professor of neuroscience in neurology and radiology. In addition, she is an adjunct faculty member at the NYU Department of Psychiatry and the author of Brain Food and The XX Brain.

Dr. Mosconi and Dhru break down how our medical system has come to view men and women’s bodies the same with the exception of our reproductive organs and why that approach is so wrong. I’m always hearing female patients come across this with diet, confused why the keto diet worked so well for a husband or brother but not for them. That’s one small example. When it comes to Alzheimer’s, women are faced with a more urgent matter to be aware of their risk.

If we continue on the path we’re on now, it’s projected that by 2025, 15 million people in the US alone will be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. That is tripled from where we are now and two-thirds of those patients could be women.

Hormones are part of the risk factors for women and Alzheimer’s, whereas for men they are cardiovascular. Dr. Mosconi explains why and how we can all work on prevention and actually get involved in the research to start solving this problem.

Throughout their talk, Dhru and Dr. Mosconi also talk about finding the right practitioners (endocrinologist or OB/GYN? Neurologist or psychologist?), changes in the brain during menopause, including phytoestrogens as part of a healthy diet, and so much more.

I hope you’ll tune in.

Wishing you health and happiness,
Mark Hyman, MD

PS - Our good friend, “The Mind Architect” Peter Crone, is launching an amazing new online course called The Free Your Mind Series. Through his videos, you’ll learn how to break down the subconscious limitations that hold you back from your dreams and finally gain freedom from your fears. Learn more right here!

VU Sponsors