Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Porch goers, hope everyone is havin a great day

May be an image of 1 person, guitar, poster and text that says 'The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an M KKOT Bohemian Spirit instrument of peace Carlos Santana'

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Best of luck to ya! Please keep us posted!
*deep yawn and stretch, sounds of gicking and popping* Mmhm. Yesterday, a twelve-hour shift between Gabe's & PHS.
Last night at PHS, we pulled another 9 rooms, dusted down a bunch more, mopped part of those, took trash.

Got books in the hall of the second floor I need to take out for recycle tonight. Didn't get them yesterday, we had so much that by 9 PM there wasn't time, only if we had pressed hard. It wasn't worth that for anyone. There were other odd tasks as well.

We decided that with 9 on day shift and 5 on night shift, day shift could do more. That isn't your typical drama, politicking. Our day shift crew has nepotism, clique of do nothing's. We have seen it a few different times, plain as day.

The 'head' custodian is on day-shift. She gets frantic that everything needs 'right now'. There's a difference in shirking work than killing yourself to do it all at once. As the expression goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day".

This lady seems to think the night shift lollygags. We dare her to work a night with us. That, nor having it all done instantly, won't happen. It'll right itself out and what doesn't will not, nor can be changed, no point worrying over. Do best able, shrug, go home, get paid. Wash, rinse, repeat.

One of the teachers lacks a full deck. Thinks we can spend all night at her whim. Got us exasperated well enough we're telling her directly, "yes we're paid hourly as you say, but we're not spending eight hours to do your work, and not get what we're assigned done."

Heading to bed. Already passed out in the recliner, a few hours. Only school tomorrow/today.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is a 215-day position open. It was posted for one day, and only one day. Since I was busy working, did not get a chance to bid/strike on it, see it.

Now, it seems 'they' are keen to not repost the position. Emailed HR about it. "Sure, if the job is still current, apply." Yes, I explained clearly I had not got a chance due to working the position as a substitute for them. Yes, I asked for it to be reposted.

Did it get reposted? No. Will HR forward my notice of intent regarding the position? No. It has to be reposted to allow for anyone to bid on it. So, ..., ..., .... You likely get the idea. And much as I'd like to, I'm not able to just say, "Alright, I'm working Ma--- 's position. I'll be in next year to work it, and the school board will honor the contract in my head."

*smh, sighing* "Not seen the like."

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Government (whether it be national, state, city, or county) is usually screwed up in some or many ways. SMH
Argh! I know this. Of course, I have to know it. Worked federal as a soldier, second job for a county in WV. Worked for a county a bit in VA. Knowing it and accepting it are two different things. Frustrating to see it, ultimately be part of it, even as the peon that just simply "moves dirt". LOL I was venting and half getting a chuckle as well.

I passed the "competency" test for one county here. That certification is good for any Custodian III spot in WV. "Yes, this person can move dirt." Some of them were talking last night, sounded like they had a rough time passing a test what took me all the ten minutes given by another custodian. "Can you do X, show me?" ... "Okay, you don't actually need to do, just 'walk me through'. Alright, you pass."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*Gradually appears sitting on edge of the porch, his face revealing he is obviously rubbing, sits observing, grins and stands seeming gradually vanish into thin air after sitting a spell* (soft voice vanishing as he goes) Y'all run 'er slow. Hugs all 'round.

@SteveS45 : Wife picked me up a plastic can of Maxwell House. It ran about $15 she said, adding it ought to have gold flecks in it. Next day while working at Gabe's I saw 1 lb / .5 kilo cardboard cans going for $3 on clearance. Think next pay period I'm going to nab a batch of those for stocking. -- Think it goes without saying, but will, you know I love your cranky butt as well, brother. :)

@nadalama : This pay period was a check / direct deposit from Gabe's only. Next pay period will be ~$600 from the school system, plus a half check from Gabe's. Wife used most of this period's income for keeping us ahead a bit, leaving a scant bit to get us through the next two weeks.

Then, a pay period after will see one from schools ~$1,200 and a full Gabe's one. She is letting me have allowance again next period. We're getting turned back around, muddling through, as I told her. Dumb me for not blurting that out to her earlier, might have saved a lot of stress, heartaches, deep conversations, debates.

Think I got rather defensive when she seemed to jump down my throat to keep looking for work. The very day I was fired I had 3 applications put in, the next day for, then six, and I kept looking and applying. No one was getting back in touch. She, herself, harps at me to not be worried about stuff beyond my control. Well, having someone contact you to say come for an interview, you got work, or even, you don't ... beyond anyone's control but an employer.

She seemed to think I could just blink and get twenty or thirty jobs handed to me on a plate instantly. One of the maintenance guys for our apartment complex told me it took him 4 months to find his job here. He said I was lucky to get Gabe's in three. People cut back during the Crud, found out less can be made more, keep more money. They don't want to re-hire, pay more for people asking more due to the Crud leaving everyone in a Lurch.

Then, cost of living tripled as well. Folks are being stingy fisted and I figure that ain't simply a trend or fad but going to be "business as usual" from here on out. Close school doors, open prisons, get free or chicken feed cost labor. To borrow a Led Zeppelin title and common expression, "The Song Remains The Same". Don't 'spect it'll eva true change for the best of anybody, save fat cats.

"Second verse, same as first, 'What gonna be will be, evermore'."

Ah yeah, in getting turned back around. She'll need to pay down credit cards. Had no choice but to use them to help stay afloat. *smh* Hate it but what could we do? Saw her mom & dad this weekend. Her dad give me $8, told me to get my snuff. He gave her a bit more, which helped pay fuel costs. She told me coming back, we never ask them for anything, so they don't mind helping once in a while. I agreed and added, unlike the others. She nodded. --- Of course, gotta love another mom. :)

@Jimi : Re: Tito Santana's quote. I keep trying to live that despite my seeming "doom 'n' gloom" attitude. I think of it more as being practical, realistic. There's only so much one alone can do. Yes, I know I'm not alone. Feel you all around, brother Bear. I appreciate that too. It often makes me smile during a 'rough' day and remember to just sigh, say "Okay." (Okay being from Cherokee meaning "today it is good to die", it was an expression of acceptance as well as standing one's ground.)

Still, in facing what we each take on our plates so to speak, we each face what we face on our own. Then, there's still the whole buffet bar of adversities, mishaps, foul-ups, we each cannot put on our plates. Maybe one day the elephant will get eaten, we all just have to keep on keeping on, a bite at a time.

I love you brother and hope all the best for you and family, friends. Prayer or not, that's always the energy I send out your way. None of us ever have to deserve anything, salvation included, imho. We're all part of the great Eternal Fire, we all are divine but lost here without guideposts to find our way back to it. We got to look out for each other before the Unchanging Darkness comes to look out for us. Keep being that punk spark what ignites the inferno. :)

ETA: Et al, Apologies for the seeming novel. Not been on much of late as I have been staying busy working. Next week, two twelve-hour shifts split between two jobs again. Add to that about two hours running on a bus, and you can see how I don't get time to break wind, much less look at the forum. Wrote it as short as I could for what needed to be said, a poet at heart, dislike verbal/written diarrhea.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A thought for everyone today

"Don't waste a good mistake, learn from it."​

Roger, Wilco. :)

"Mistakes in life are the best teachers."

"Others can stop you temporarily, only you can do it permanently."

ETA: Checking in: Did not get a truck for Gabe's Thu., so did not need to work. "No truck of product, no product to process to sale." That was alright too. Let me have a couple of hours of downtime to "relax". Had a pleasantly "light" night, Thursday as well. Had to put stuff back in one class, move some desks and tables. Of course, Stacy & I wound up doing twice as much.

Everything ought to be secured in the school now, just keep abreast of trash. Well, off to bed. Had to "sit up" with my cat earlier. She misses me a fierce when I go out to work.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

It's nearly 2 pm and I'm having my coffee. Does that count?

I got up at 8 this morning feeling terrible, so after breakfast I went back to sleep for almost 4 hours. I feel lots better now, and it's time for coffee.

Do you folks get a headache if you don't have your coffee?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do you folks get a headache if you don't have your coffee?

Sometimes, I don't blame coffee, however. It is the result of the image below.

Our Bizzaro World - A picture of a cubed globe.

Our Bizzaro World

Surrealism can help some. Take four surreal powders daily, not on an empty stomach, though. Enjoy your powders with a cup of hot tea, glass of fresh tap water. Tell the water thank you and give it a smile. Doing so is the ritual for creating Joy Juice.

Drink some Joy Juice any time you feel down. Do not overconsume Joy Juice, listen to your body, if your body says it is thirsty, drink, otherwise don't worry over dehydration so much.

Our bodies are our own best doctors. We all can do with paying more attention to ourselves and not muddling in the affairs of other folks too much so. Help our fellow travelers, but only if they seem capable of helping themselves. Live and let live, pay it all forward.

Remember, above all else, love and be loved. If we want peace, we live peacefully. Want no more wars? Don't discuss war at all, take away the power it has by divesting in attention paid it. We are awareness and part of the Eternal Fire, let your Light shine.

"What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?" ― Ursula K. LeGuin

Seek not to change the world; seek only to change your mind about the world.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, tomorrow marks the start of my last business trip! When I return home Friday there will be no more traveling for work! Two weeks later on 30 June I will be officially retired!

But what are you going to do with yourself everyone asks. I reply "Gardening, BBQ, and Grand kids"!

If you get the feeling I can't wait you would be right!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Seek not to change the world; seek only to change your mind about the world.

Uh huh. My mind has drastically been changed about the world today. Suffice it to say, figure I'll be on my own soon.

Seems "we" are not working. I'll likely never try for another "we", too old and set in ways. Funny how the world turned upside down.

Oh well, they say that's life.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Uh huh. My mind has drastically been changed about the world today. Suffice it to say, figure I'll be on my own soon.

Seems "we" are not working. I'll likely never try for another "we", too old and set in ways. Funny how the world turned upside down.

Oh well, they say that's life.

Hang in there. I’ve endured one and said that I wouldn’t endure another. I know if it came down to it I would but not be happy. I firmly believe that I wouldn’t do a third for the same reasons you said.

VU Sponsors