Become a Patron!

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because it proves that at the most basic level, temp control is actually working.

My post was mostly tongue in cheek.... but not totally.

I can see where TC would work great in the normal vaping range, yet still set cotton on fire if you were foolish enuff to let it get that dry.
So IMHO I just dont see the cotton burn as a valid test of what TC can do for your vape...... I see it as a "Dry Hit Protector" if you will, and that I could really careless about ! ( Since that just dont happen for me enuff to warrant higher price. )

A TC that can be dialed in with minute temp adjustment within common vaping ranges is what I expect I would want from a Temp Controlled Mod..... Thats where I could see it being worth extra coin. If it achieved this, and still caught dry cotton on fire I wouldnt shed a tear !
If all it did well is NOT set dry cotton on fire, I would view it as useless a feature as "Parental Control".

Again.... just MHO......

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My post was mostly tongue in cheek.... but not totally.

I can see where TC would work great in the normal vaping range, yet still set cotton on fire if you were foolish enuff to let it get that dry.
So IMHO I just dont see the cotton burn as a valid test of what TC can do for your vape...... I see it as a "Dry Hit Protector" if you will, and that I could really careless about ! ( Since that just dont happen for me enuff to warrant higher price. )

A TC that can be dialed in with minute temp adjustment within common vaping ranges is what I expect I would want from a Temp Controlled Mod..... Thats where I could see it being worth extra coin. If it achieved this, and still caught dry cotton on fire I wouldnt shed a tear !
If all it did well is NOT set dry cotton on fire, I would view it as useless a feature as "Parental Control".

Again.... just MHO......

If the temp control is working though then the cotton won't burn.

That's...the whole point, and why people value the cotton test.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dry cotton burn test in a dripper will show that the temp control functions as intended. I agree that no one vapes dry cotton on purpose ,but it can and does happen. All the known working Tc chips on the market can do this.
If this mod can trully regulate kanthal wire tempature in say a dripper without burning the cotton then this will show that the tech is sound.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe its just me.....

But why does everybody get so worked up on the "Cotton Burn Test" ?
If/When you smoked cigs, did you never light the wrong end of a filtered cig or burn it down to the filter.
What maybe once in a Blue Moon, or if you were really smart only once ?

I have never once, even by accident set my wick on fire ! ( Snide Remarks are a given here. )
I mean does it really happen enuff that we all must be saved from our cotton fires ?:eek:
Temp. Control I get, and one day I might even find it useful..... sound idea !
But judging whether your vape is gonna taste great by some pagan ritual test involving fire just seems odd to me.

Whats the next hurdle..... Will it light up a dark room..... jump start my Bike...... Wifi.....

I just want it to Vape !
:D
Do you drip or ever use a tank that couldn't wick max vg properly?
Burnt cotton even slightly, not fire, just singed taste like complete ass. It sucks and in those cases is why I see the cotton burn test matter. I've been vaping for a while and can taste/hear when I'm going dry but on occasion I pick up my mod without dripping and get the nasty dry hit.

Btw, I've on more than one occasion lit the wrong end of a cigarette when I was intoxicated, which was often at one point in my life. So maybe I'm just "that guy"

Edit: Read your other post and I'm with you. A mod that simply prevents a dry hit and nothing more is useless. Well not completely but not worth $160... Temperature control is about getting a perfect consistent vape.
And imo, 200w is just rediculous, No one NEEDS that. No one. It makes me think PBusardo and his fog machine video...

Last edited:

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Legal Vape 4000 is awesome still waiting on my clone from China lolz

Last edited:

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Edit: Read your other post and I'm with you. A mod that simply prevents a dry hit and nothing more is useless. Well not completely but not worth $160... Temperature control is about getting a perfect consistent vape.
And imo, 200w is just rediculous, No one NEEDS that. No one. It makes me think PBusardo and his fog machine video...

This was my thought all along ! "Temperature control is about getting a perfect consistent vape".

I can Perfectly set my Temp Controlled Oven to 400f and it will to just that... keep the Temp at 400f.
Toss your cotton on the heating element and I bet it catches fire.
That does not prove "The Technology dont work !".

"If the temp control is working though then the cotton won't burn...."
Again, I consider that "Dry hit control"... not whether or not my device can maintain a specific temp.
Yes it seems that "Feature" has been touted by Chip makers as proof their product works, but that does not mean TC cannot be achieved unless it can do this.

Anyways.............
Interesting times indeed !
:)

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can Perfectly set my Temp Controlled Oven to 400f and it will to just that... keep the Temp at 400f.

The term should be limiting... not control

It keeps the device from exceeding the set tempurature... it doesn't keep it at that temp

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This was my thought all along ! "Temperature control is about getting a perfect consistent vape".

"If the temp control is working though then the cotton won't burn...."
Again, I consider that "Dry hit control"... not whether or not my device can maintain a specific temp.
Yes it seems that "Feature" has been touted by Chip makers as proof their product works, but that does not mean TC cannot be achieved unless it can do this.

Anyways.............
Interesting times indeed !
:)

If a device can control/limit temperature correctly, then wouldn't you want it to prevent you from taking a nice juicy big hit of dry cotton? Why would anyone make a device that can control/limit temperature and not use it to prevent dry hits and/or burning cotton?

The two go hand in hand, which is why being able to pass a cotton burn test is a great indicator that the thing is actually working.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The idea with Ni200 temp control was for Ni200 wire...why couldnt a different parameter be set for kanthal?....it heats up and reaches a temp based on wattage so why not something to regulate it further...Maybe it just lowers wattage of its too hot to burn a wick based on the amount of juice it can maybe sense it has on it.

Im eager to see how it works out myself..Not that i would spend 150 dollars for a mod but in time there will be used ones and price drops...Reviews and time will tell the whole story.

Nickel wire (NI200) has a linear relationship between temperature and resistance, as the wire heats, the resistance goes up in a linear model. Titanium is close in the linear mathematical relationship. Kanthal is an alloy composed of a few metals with dissimilar properties, the linear model between temperature and resistance is quite a bit more complex due to multiple metals with differing electrical properties being used. Like most of the posters in this thread, I need to see the testing and science behind the mod in the way it can handle multiple types of resistance wire.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nickel wire (NI200) has a linear relationship between temperature and resistance, as the wire heats, the resistance goes up in a linear model. Titanium is close in the linear mathematical relationship. Kanthal is an alloy composed of a few metals with dissimilar properties, the linear model between temperature and resistance is quite a bit more complex due to multiple metals with differing electrical properties being used. Like most of the posters in this thread, I need to see the testing and science behind the mod in the way it can handle multiple types of resistance wire.
Looking into 'how' TL works as one of the first to get into it, I was using the titanium pretty early on. To be honest I wasn't a big fan. Its so much easier to work with but with boards like the dna40 and sx350j its just more trouble than its worth to me. Well the DNA40 refinement crap didn't seem to get along with it. I haven't given it an honest go on the sx350j yet, tempered ni200 and the lower Rt needed made it sort of obsolete for me. But- Now that mods are coming out set to work with it im curious to see if my attitude changes.
As for the kanthal, I'll have to see it and hopefully figure out a way to test drive it before ill believe it. The math on that one, from what I've read is all over the map. Not saying its impossible, but im also still waiting for my teleportation device.

Last edited:

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looking into 'how' TL works as one of the first to get into it, I was using the titanium pretty early on. To be honest I wasn't a big fan. Its so much easier to work with but with boards like the dna40 and sx350j its just more trouble than its worth to me. Well the DNA40 refinement crap didn't seem to get along with it. I haven't given it an honest go on the sx350j yet, tempered ni200 and the lower Rt needed made it sort of obsolete for me. But- Now that mods are coming out set to work with it im curious to see if my attitude changes.
As for the kanthal, I'll have to see it and hopefully figure out a way to test drive it before ill believe it. The math on that one, from what I've read is all over the map. Not saying its impossible, but im also still waiting for my teleportation device.
I had so-so results with Titanium wire. The DNA40 seemed to have a lot of temp limiting issues with it, but on the SX350J, it works OK, not stellar, but OK. If you haven't upgraded the SX350J software, do so. Seems to help out on battery life plus you can disable the gravity sensor now.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had so-so results with Titanium wire. The DNA40 seemed to have a lot of temp limiting issues with it, but on the SX350J, it works OK, not stellar, but OK. If you haven't upgraded the SX350J software, do so. Seems to help out on battery life plus you can disable the gravity sensor now.
Oh yeah, I upgraded it the battery life seems better all the way around
And eco mode with a tank around 30j is running me all day now.
A few little hickups but a new version of it is enroute. It will take one hell of a mod to dethrone this thing IMHO.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I run my Herakles kinda hot, hope it helps with the overall time there. I'd get half a day at 35 Joules, 480 Degrees with the old firmware. Perhaps Provape should take lessons from YiHi. I bet they would sell a lot of 75 watt temp limiting mods if they made the decision to come into the 21st century.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I run my Herakles kinda hot, hope it helps with the overall time there. I'd get half a day at 35 Joules, 480 Degrees with the old firmware.
Shit that's close to where I run the lamo2 and eco nearly doubled my battery life.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shit that's close to where I run the lamo2 and eco nearly doubled my battery life.
I used to use the .2 Coils with the SXMini. Sucked the battery like a hungry vampire. now at .5, better battery life.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nickel wire (NI200) has a linear relationship between temperature and resistance, as the wire heats, the resistance goes up in a linear model.

As pure speculation...

What if they aren't trying to actually determine the actual specific temp as used in current temp limiting chips but instead they are just controlling what the resistance itself is limited at and then not letting it exceed that value. If so, an accurate temperature wouldn't be required just an accurate resistance and it'd have the same effect of limiting what the temp could reach. In short... it wouldn't require a linear relationship, it would simply stop the device from allowing the resistance value that was set to be exceeded.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I used to use the .2 Coils with the SXMini. Sucked the battery like a hungry vampire. now at .5, better battery life.
Hahah. Ohhh you're running in power mode, Roger that! If I do that im either using the aqua2 at 40-45w or the Atlantis 2 wit the battleaxe setup around 80w. either way I got -ok- battery life, need to try that with the update.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As pure speculation...

What if they aren't trying to actually determine the actual specific temp as used in current temp limiting chips but instead they are just controlling what the resistance itself is limited at and then not letting it exceed that value. If so, an accurate temperature wouldn't be required just an accurate resistance and it'd have the same effect of limiting what the temp could reach. In short... it wouldn't require a linear relationship, it would simply stop the device from allowing the resistance value that was set to be exceeded.
That makes sense.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rethought thought that statement... Think I was wrong but I was thinking that the different blends of alloys in kanthal could be a reason that the reverse governance would not work well

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rethought thought that statement... Think I was wrong but I was thinking that the different blends of alloys in kanthal could be a reason that the reverse governance would not work well

What I was describing in my speculation... was that no matter what the metal used is, the resistance will vary with the temp. So you'd monitor the resistance... not how linear that change is... if the resistance increases from the point it was set to limit at, that means the temp increased and the output could be backed off.

I can certainly think of things that would detract from doing it this way. For one, you would have to set the initial spot with enough juice that the wick would be full of juice to start with. If the amount of juice or even the amount of air going over the coils changed during that time you were setting it... it'd screw up that setting possibly ending up with a higher setting than you'd planned for.

That would also mean you couldn't set the device while the wick was dry like you can with the current devices... this may explain the odd statement made about dry cotton earlier and could have been just a bad translation of what they were actually trying to get across.

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
What I was describing in my speculation... was that no matter what the metal used is, the resistance will vary with the temp. So you'd monitor the resistance... not how linear that change is... if the resistance increases from the point it was set to limit at, that means the temp increased and the output could be backed off.

I can certainly think of things that would detract from doing it this way. For one, you would have to set the initial spot with enough juice that the wick would be full of juice to start with. If the amount of juice or even the amount of air going over the coils changed during that time you were setting it... it'd screw up that setting possibly ending up with a higher setting than you'd planned for.

That would also mean you couldn't set the device while the wick was dry like you can with the current devices... this may explain the odd statement made about dry cotton earlier and could have been just a bad translation of what they were actually trying to get across.

i love the statement, and i have to say, it is professional statement.

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
One special function for iJOY Asolo is to set your password if needed.

check following picture for reference

1-150601052034322.jpg

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Last edited:

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One special function for iJOY Asolo is to set your password if needed.

check following picture for reference

1-150601052034322.jpg
Please do not make a password a requirment in order to use this device many of us do not vape around children and to some this opition just seems gimmicky IMHO.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Very interesting hypothesis rdsok it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I am really hoping this technology functions as described/intended, But I will remain skeptical until it's proven.
Apparently Inokkin has a mod in the works that can do the same as this Asolo called the iTC.
http://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_...n_temperature_control_official_press_release/

I would love to see one of them do a video on how its doing this,
Kind of like evolve did on the dna40 at first, .you know, included all the fun nerd shit.
Maybe one of them can beat busardo to It, hahah

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would love to see one of them do a video on how its doing this,
Kind of like evolve did on the dna40 at first, .you know, included all the fun nerd shit.
Maybe one of them can beat busardo to It, hahah
That will be a tall order to do lol. I really do like how in depth Busardo get's with these devices even when he's cranky. At least he's honest and to the point.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That will be a tall order to do lol. I really do like how in depth Busardo get's with these devices even when he's cranky. At least he's honest and to the point.
Roger that dude, I like his videos I just have to be cautious. I dont vape the ssme way as he does anymore .
But i'll watch him for, build quality and tech info them look around, for moree info on how something vapes, but dud Is great and I really wish some of the other reviewers were as indepth

If a device can control/limit temperature correctly, then wouldn't you want it to prevent you from taking a nice juicy big hit of dry cotton? Why would anyone make a device that can control/limit temperature and not use it to prevent dry hits and/or burning cotton?

The two go hand in hand, which is why being able to pass a cotton burn test is a great indicator that the thing is actually working.

I would love it if the IPv4 didn't have a dry coil warning. I'm using it for e-solids as well as e juice.

Last edited:

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would love it if the IPv4 didn't have a dry coil warning. I'm using it for wax as well as e juice.
Are you using it in Joules mode with regular kanthal? The whole point of temp control / limiting is to not burn your wicks. That message is there to let you know that your wicking is drying out.

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Please do not make a password a requirment in order to use this device many of us do not vape around children and to some this opition just seems gimmicky IMHO.
it is just a opition for people who need, and it won't be a trouble to other people who don't need.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I won't believe this device works with Kanthal as a combined heating/sensing element until I see a video - and then I won't believe it anyway until someone explains to me in clear engineering terms how this can possibly work, given that Kanthal has a neglibible temperature/resistance coefficient. This seems like marketing hype for the gullible to me...

If it had a separate temperature probe in the atty however... But I highly doubt it.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I won't believe this device works with Kanthal as a combined heating/sensing element until I see a video - and then I won't believe it anyway until someone explains to me in clear engineering terms how this can possibly work, given that Kanthal has a neglibible temperature/resistance coefficient. This seems like marketing hype for the gullible to me...

If it had a separate temperature probe in the atty however... But I highly doubt it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what that guy said!

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^^^^ I second that motion.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Can a solo give us q little information on -how- its temp limiting works?

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

beta test video for ijoy asolo temperature control on kanthal A1

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
beta test video for ijoy asolo temperature control on kanthal A1
Does the video explain how it is doing the temp control?
If not can someone please explain

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Does the video explain how it is doing the temp control?
If not can someone please explain
thank you so much, you would know it and love how it work, because another test video will explain how it work, and will public next week.:)

the first beta video is to show how easy it can temperature control, and most important show people it do well on kanthal A1 wire.

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Am I seeing that correctly, that the build in the video was a .066Ω Kanthal A1 (and nine of the smoke and mirrors "Kanthal brand ni200" wire)?
:)kanthal A1 and other kanthal wire, even normal wire, all wires can be temperature control by IJOY Asolo.

gracechen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Possibly licensing Innokin's sensor technology?

IJOY Asolo do not need the atomizer put sensor, we support all tanks, even CE4 and MT3. innokin is different

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
:)kanthal A1 and other kanthal wire, even normal wire, all wires can be temperature control by IJOY Asolo.
IJOY Asolo do not need the atomizer put sensor, we support all tanks, even CE4 and MT3. innokin is different
How does it actually do the temp limiting ?

RebelGolfer72

Guilty as charged
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
My question was about the build... Was that a .066Ω build using 34g kanthal a1 in that video? I understand that you are claiming it works with everything, but I was inquiring about the specific build in the video

st0nedpenguin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The video proves literally nothing, the same thing could have been done with the Smok M80 if it was programmed differently.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I believe the fire button wasn't held down long enough and was pulsed like every two seconds. A juiced wick on a mech will do the same thing

VU Sponsors