Become a Patron!

CLOSED- Debate Invitation to ECF Troublemakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah, but I have the intelligence to know a fraud when I see one.
;)
Just to be clear...Are you in fact calling Mother Theresa a fraud?
Oh by the way she never lived or worked in Africa.She lived most of her life in India.Which is in Asia not Africa.

pcrdude

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You failed at least 12 times to prove any point at all in any of your arguments.Now you want to say we're stupid?
Wait...wait...Really?
You failed and somehow that makes us the dumb people?
Talk about lack of utter logic...Damn.

You are the 1 that brought up levels of atheism as I recall.Which I will remind you is wrong.

The mystery of faith is simple to explain and Catholics aren't the only ones who believe in it.To an extant many Pagans believe in it as well.
I didn't call the atheist position dumb per se. I did say it was unscientific and illogical....

Quote from philosophy outside the box:

'it is a positive unbelief. The atheist is not sitting on the sidelines unengaged with the question of God–the atheist makes a positive assertion by actively refusing the proposition “God exists” which means they are just as actively committing to the proposition “God does not exist.” Their active unbelief logically and necessarily entails an active belief. If they claim the title “atheist” then they have no choice but to accept what that word means. They are taking a position and positions must be defended with reason and evidence. The burden of proof is on the one who makes an assertion, and the atheist does make an assertion in their active denial and disbelief. Denying such clear logic and evidence is the very definition of irrationality.

Any atheist who tries to avoid the fact that they are engaging in the active, positive belief in the proposition “God does not exist” should have to explain why they are running away from their own beliefs. '

justincase

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just to be clear...Are you in fact calling Mother Theresa a fraud?
Oh by the way she never lived or worked in Africa.She lived most of her life in India.Which is in Asia not Africa.
I'll let you suss that one out on your own terms.

...as far as the Africa comment, it was in reference to a pic that was posted.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think all religions are stupid, not just xtianity. Any religion that prevents you from responsibly taking care of yourself, such as with medicine, birth control, abortion if necessary, or eating some animal to keep from starving to death... it's just a power play, a mind game, a way to control the maaaaaaaa-sses. I.e., the sheep.

Andria
I know of a religion that is all about personal responsibility it's called (Satanism)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
55304511.jpg

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what is this debate really about?
I am certainly confused.
Are we bashing atheist? Bashing christians? The catholics?
Someone's going to explain why it is a scientific failure when someone doesn't believe in stuff?.....

So many questions.
:huh:
Go back and read the Original Post.In my opinion this thread has taken a very wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Bugs-ABQ.jpg

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
When did I "scream at" someone that their beliefs are wrong?

Edit: scroll back in the thread, because the screaming has been AT me and the content of that screaming is that MY viewpoint is wrong, so ...
Defensive much? :) Notice I didn't say "You screaming at people..."?? General statement that you took way too personal.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has a 300 IQ ever actually been recorded?

Andria
I've never heard of 1.Pretty sure Stephen Hawking is around 195.Neil deGrasse Tyson is around 187 as I recall.Albert Einstein was recorded at 180*.

*But that was on the old IQ test.

justincase

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
PCR logic:

Joe Six Pack:
I believe god exists.

PCR:
You're wrong.
It's not that you believe god exists, but rather,
You don't believe he doesn't exist.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you think of a situation in which it is ever justified to murder children?
Personally, I can't, but I am curious about what you think.
I can only think of 1 possible situation in which it would be justified to murder a child.
But only if the child is in fact the Antichrist.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are MANY who define "atheism" as the belief there is no deity, and agnotsic spectrum where varying levels of "maybe" live. I don't like the term "weak atheist", since it's kinda like sayin "almost pregnant"

ARE YOU A STRONG ATHEIST???
You may not like it but there are in fact weak atheists.
And those things are no where even close to being related....Just saying.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The former believes there is no deity because there is no empiracle evidence of such a thing..The strong agnostic believes that there isn't a deity, but isn't strong enough in his faith to be sure in his believe.
No and wrong on so many levels.Your basic lack of understanding atheism or any religion at all shows.I am now 1000% sure of the fact that you're just taking the piss out of us.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
NO, you really are saying the same basic thing. His objection was to faith only running rampant in the ABSENCE of fatcts...when it is demonstrable that faith will run rough shod OVER facts in many cases.
In essence, correct. But either stance contains elements of absolutism regarding the outcome. Human nature is to assign meaning to anything and everything. Whether that meaning includes elements of faith is up to the individual. The lack of fact or data does not automatically defer to the insertion of faith, just as existence of data or fact precludes the possibility of assignment of meaning based in faith.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it just me, or is Holy War an oxy moron?
Nope you got it.
At least I.M.H.O. you got it..Personally I'd love to see an end to all war.That way we can concentrate on the bigger issues.You know like stopping the spread of diseases and curing cancer.Getting off this rock before Monsieur Sole goes kaboom and thus killing us all.Then again what the fuck do I know.I'm just an ignorant hillbilly redneck peckerwood with far too much attitude...Cheers!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In essence, correct. But either stance contains elements of absolutism regarding the outcome. Human nature is to assign meaning to anything and everything. Whether that meaning includes elements of faith is up to the individual. The lack of fact or data does not automatically defer to the insertion of faith, just as existence of data or fact precludes the possibility of assignment of meaning based in faith.
That me darling man is a mouth full.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
but when folks are pushing for others to be legislated based on their beliefs we have a problem.
Christians FREAK OUT when discussing Muslims/Sharia Law, but they will turn right around and want to do the same thing.
I don't think that the "freaking out" is constrained to just Christians.
Your point is valid, just a bit constrained by the context of the argument. ;)

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe this will help you see the absurdity of your 'levels'......

When it comes to Zeus, where do you see yourself on that sliding scale?
Weak or strong?
How about Santa? Leprechauns? Fairies? Unicorns?

Maybe I am assuming things when I shouldn't...... Perhaps you believe in some of those?
I, for one, don't believe in any of them.
It isn't a strong disbelief or a weak disbelief.
It is just disbelief.
My wife claims to be only 3% Leprechaun...Cheers!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok all you theists & non-theists lets talk about something based in fact! I believe that the tests for citizenship, drivers license, & all other state & federal documents should be printed in English only! Although I respect a persons right to speak any language they choose I firmly believe they should be able to understand & speak the primary (official) language of this country if they choose to live & work here & especially if they CHOOSE to be a citizen! If you all agree with me on this then let's debate how we let the status quo happen!:shades:
Wrong usage oh the phrase (Status Quo)

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
As per my example earlier:
Cup behind a curtain. No data showing its capacity. Faith can enter the picture here.
Cup exposed. Data available showing its capacity. Faith can not enter the picture.
Schrodinger's Cat?

You say it's a cup, I say it's a dragon. Prove me wrong.

Proving me wrong would require an agreement on what defines a cup or a dragon, or how much the cup holds or what a dragon is. Lacking agreement, proof is impossible to achieve.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are lots of levels of atheism. I posted evidence. I am arguing against ONE of them.

Strict atheism (aka new atheism), but consistent with militant atheism, antitheism, etc.

Do you have reading comprehension issues?
Holy fuck...Anybody else getting a sense of Déjà vu?
This person is starting to sound quite a bit like Mr. Magoo.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
there already exist plenty of resources to learn english in the bay area, the thing is ...you don't have to learn english thanks to the goverment....you can entrench yourself in the ethnic enclave of your choice and never be forced to learn english.
This will soon include drivers test-books in (Klingon)...Wished I was kidding.

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Compassion is seeing someone in struggle and asking "What can I do to help you?"
Sympathy is seeing someone struggle and saying "Oh, that's too bad."
Which is why it irks me when a person says "I'll pray for you". Rather than offering any tangible help, they offer a platitude which amounts to nothing.

After the terrorist attack in Paris, I was rather vocal about it. Don't "pray" for Paris, religion is what caused the tragedy, send money or donate blood; you know, ACTUALLY do something to help. Image1461904807.829725.jpg

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
170280_495704308162_644188162_6331476_5488104_o.jpg

Getting back to the important issue that needs resolution, the Green Hornet trumps both Superman and Batman because he drives a cool Mopar.

Thank God we settled that one.
I reject your assertion, Sir. Batman drives a sexier car than that!
#BatmanSTILLWins

*I say while sitting here in my Batman pajama pants...*

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors